Date:      Thu, 02 Dec 1999 10:34:05 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        "Cheney Brothers, Inc." <cbi@cheneybrothers.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Memory Leak

On Fri, 31 Dec 1999 12:52:45 EST, "Cheney Brothers, Inc." wrote:

> What happenes is Apache logs an error in the web server logs stating it =
> can not spawn or run process because resourses are temrorarily =
> unavailable.  If I reboot and have the free extra memory free the cgi =
> will run fine.

If this was caused by memory shortage, you'd see "out of swap" errors in
/var/log/messages.  I suggest you post the exact error message that you
see in the Apache logs so that we can hunt it down in the Apache source.

However, I'm willing to bet that you're using an old release of FreeBSD
for which login.conf sets restrictions on the number of child processes
and amount of memory any process can use _by_ _default_.  Modern
releases of FreeBSD don't impose these per-process limits by default.

Have a look at /etc/login.conf and you'll probably find that the default
class is restricted.

Ciao,
Sheldon.

PS: Keep freebsd-questions in the loop when you send follow-up so that
    others can benefit from this correspondance. :-)