Date:      Thu, 1 May 1997 21:21:48 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@bitbox.follo.net>
To:        "Pedro F. Giffuni" <pgiffuni@fps.biblos.unal.edu.co>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ports/Version Numbers

> Eivind Eklund wrote:
> >
> > Why are we using version numbers as parts of our port-names?  This
> > allow overwriting part of an existing port (e.g. samba 1.9.14)
> > with a new version of the same port, and with no warnings.  Are
> > there any benefits beyond the fact that the presently installed
> > version number is obvious (which we probably could fix anyway)?
>
> 1) Not all ports report their version. It's good to know the current
> version so you can pkg_delete the previous one.

It is even better to have 'make install' warn that the previous is
there, and drop installing until you have removed it, unless you force
it.

> 2) The maintainer may want to port a beta and want's to make it
> distinguishable from the release.

Same goes.  This would override existing files without a warning.

> The problem you mention and the so called "fix" is not obvious and has
> caused problems with Tkl/Tk and other ports before.

I don't know what the 'so called "fix"' is - I was thinking about
either putting a 'VERSION' file in the pkg directory or having a
symlink from the package+version number to the real package directory.

What do you mean by "not obvious" and has caused problems?  Version
number is obvious?  I'm fairly certain we can find a way around that.

> AIX's pkg_add
> replaces existing binaries but leaves a "*.orig" copy of the first
> package, JIC you want to go back.

If we wanted something like this, I'd rather have /usr/local/oldports
clone the relevant parts of the /usr/local tree, letting me wipe them
easily.  Sounds like a good idea, though - I've had to revert samba a
number of times.

Eivind.