Date:      Fri, 8 Jan 1999 10:02:37 +1100 (EST)
From:      Graeme Cross <graeme@babylon.wsc.monash.edu.au>
To:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD-chat <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: New Majordomo Feature

On Thu, 7 Jan 1999, Jason C. Wells wrote:

>I am normally pretty quiet about spam as making a lot of noise about it
>does little to solve the problem. I know jmb works hard to keep the noise
>down. I thought of a way that we can help him, if it is feasible.
>
>Can majordomo be configured to respond to a new command?
>
>The new command would be "spamthread". Anyone who is a subscriber could
>issue it by sending a reply to Majordomo. Majordomo would read the command
>in the body and then look at the subject header. Majordomo would shunt all
>spamthread messages with the offending subject to /dev/null or perhaps a
>queue for evaluation, banishment, or nuclear assault.
>
>The idea is that maybe the first person who catches one of these threads
>that hits every single list can limit the damage by issuing a spamthread
>command.

Jason, there is too much potential here for abuse.

Sick of threads about Linux vs FreeBSD? Spamthread it!
Tired of newbies pleading for help? Spamthread any subject with 'help' in it!
Bored with discussions about WordPerfect? Spamthread them!

Good procmail recipes reduce spam considerably. Combined with a policy of
closed-list posting, mailing list spam becomes negligible.

Cheers
Graeme

--
Graeme Cross
Water Studies Centre, Monash University           Phone: +61 3 990 54089