Date:      Mon, 03 Jan 2005 10:47:58 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        "Mike Jakubik" <mikej@rogers.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /etc/rc: WARNING: /dev/apmctl not found

> Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 11:19:33 -0500 (EST)
> From: "Mike Jakubik" <mikej@rogers.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
>
> Godwin Stewart said:
>
> > Do you also have this in /boot/device.hints:
> >
> > hint.apm.0.disabled="0"
> > hint.acpi.0.disabled="1"
>
> I have whatever the default values are for 5.3. Do these need to be set
> manally? Any reason for this?

What you have leaves ACPI as the power management system on you r
computer. This is probably a good thing as ACPI will certainly receive
better support as time goes on.

ACPI is not a new APM. It covers far more things than just power
management, but, since it does deal with power management, it can't
co-exist with APM. It's one or the other if your BIOS supports
both. Old BIOS may not support ACPI and new BIOS may not support
APM. Old BIOS that does support ACPI and APM may not have very good ACPI
capability, making APM a better choice.

If you run ACPI, an APM emulator is also available that provides a
limited APM API for utilities that used APM for things like battery life
and such. For that reason, you will probably see /dev/apm if either ACPI
or APM is running. You will see an apmd process and /dev/apmctl only
when actual APM is used. If you have APMD_ENABLE="YES" in /etc/rc.conf,
apmd will error when started with ACPI. Simply remove the like from
/etc/rc/conf if you run ACPI.

When you have a little time, issue the command "sysctl hw.acpi" for a
list of things you can read and/or modify. Also, if you are using a
laptop, try "acpiconf -i 0". (This will probably do nothing on a
desktop.)
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)