Date:      Mon, 8 May 1995 22:43:19 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@ref.tfs.com>
To:        nit@llc.org (Martin Durand)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Various questions

> The college where I'm network everything is about to get connected using
> ISDN (with those prices, who needs 56k!). IS guys being what they are, they
> insist on a firewall. I'm thinking of using FreeBSD with TIS's fwtk. Now
> for the problem spots.
it should work.. FreeBSD ALSO has firewalling built into the kernel
(option ipfw I think.)

> - I've been monitoring the firewalls mailing list where I posted my
> solution. Someone said go with BSDI, another with FreeBSD, still another
> said go with NetBSD. The only thing everyone seems to agree on is not to
> use Linux (a bug in the TCP/IP code it seems). From what I understand,
> NetBSD precedes FreeBSD 2.0 and BSDI 2.0. Aside from $$$ and "hacker"
> quality, what's nice about you guys ?
I don't know if NetBSD is preferable to FreeBSD..
their code is much the same.. hacker quality is pretty good..

The freebsd install (particularly the new one to be released next week
is far better. and we support more devices on PCs
Our ISDN support is only embrionic, but that's 100% more than NetBSD.
Unfortunatly we onlt support some German cards at the moment, though
I'm told there are some that appear hayes compatible and might not
require extra drivers.

> - I would like to save money on routers and incorporate an ISDN card in the
> server. All our connections will go through the firewall to both channels
> (2-64k B channels). Can you recommend a card or card/external UTA that will
> work with FreeBSD ?
Digiboard make a nice one, but you need one for each end...

enet----digi----isdn----digi---enet

> - I will probably use a HP NetServer with integrated Adaptec SCSI
> controller. Comments? Problems? Other manfacturer?
don't know it..
take a FreeBSD SNAP bootfloppy and try boot it first
to see if it finds the SCSI ....

> - Lastly, and I know this is plug time, any comments from users using
> FreeBSD as a base for a firewall?
we use one here..
it's only a 483sx33 but it  bridges two enets just fine
(using the kernel ipfw mode)
(you can block all sorts of things..)
the big missing feature in this is the ability to
block on TCP level criteria, only on IP level..