Date:      Mon, 20 Jan 2003 18:18:41 +0900
From:      Hajimu UMEMOTO <ume@mahoroba.org>
To:        David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org, emulation@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: [CFR] IPv6 support for Linux sym

Hi,

>>>>> On Sun, 19 Jan 2003 19:59:57 +0000
>>>>> David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie> said:

dwmalone> I have a patch which is quite similar to this, but also reduces the
dwmalone> use of the stackgap in the Linux networking code and breaks out
dwmalone> things like socket, bind and listen into an implimentation and a
dwmalone> syscall wrapper (extending Ian's work in this area). I took these
dwmalone> patches far enough to get the linux version of telnet to speak IPv6.

Your approach of having syscall wrapper reduces the overhead of
copyout(), and seems good.  I thought that doing copyout() is slightly
lengthy.
However, only connect() and bind() have an wrapper.  We need more
wrappers for converting `to' field of sendto() and `msg_name' field of
sendmsg().  These are not simple than the wrapper for connect() and
bind().  I have no idea how these should be wrapped at the moment.

dwmalone> 	1) I hadn't figured out the best way to deal with syscalls
dwmalone> 	which copyout a sockaddr - I suspect we need a per-sysvec
dwmalone> 	sockaddr copyout function to do this cleanly, but I'm open
dwmalone> 	to suggestion.

Maybe yes.

dwmalone> 	2) The patches wouldn't compile on the alpha 'cos of some
dwmalone> 	ifdefs in the linux emulation code. I just hadn't got around
dwmalone> 	to resolving this.

Oops, thank you for pointing this out.  It seems that other than
linux_connect() are ifdef'ed by __alpha__.  Is it right?  Is there any
problem removing #ifdef __alpha__ and compiling the codes in on
FreeBSD/Alpha?

dwmalone> Maybe we could see if we could combine these patches? My patch is
dwmalone> available at:

dwmalone> 	http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~dwmalone/linux-socket

I think so, too.

Sincerely,