Date:      Thu, 10 Sep 1998 23:32:36 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Gerald Abshez <gerald@manhattanprojects.com>
Cc:        brian@Awfulhak.org, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: VPN's: PPP, SSH et al...

> Two questions:
>
> 1) (A more basic PPP question) I can't see any machine other  then the
> other end of
>     the PPP connection. Yes, I did enable IP Forwarding. Some other
> config problem that
>     I might have overlooked?

The netmask on a POINTOPOINT link is ignored by the kernel.  You need
to add a specific route to the remote network.  If for example,
you've got 1.2.3.0/24 on the remote end, a line like this should do
the job:

    add 1.2.3.0/24 HISADDR

I'm assuming the latest version of ppp again - you can get it via
http://www.Awfulhak.org/ppp.html.

> 2) I'd like to automate the process. My hope is to get something going
> like the on-demand
>     dialing function, where packets going to the remote network cause
> the ppp connection to
>     happen. Am I dreaming?

No problem.... your dream is a reality :-)

Just get the latest ppp, use the !command syntax for the device,
add the above ``add'' line and run ``ppp -auto whatever'' and you
should be there.

      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;