Date:      Wed, 30 Jun 2010 11:33:45 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Chris Stankevitz <chrisstankevitz@yahoo.com>
To:        Jeremy Messenger <mezz7@cox.net>
Cc:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Workspace Switcher: cannot add workspaces

--- On Wed, 6/30/10, Jeremy Messenger <mezz7@cox.net> wrote:
> Try to look in the ~/.xsession-errors for any error
> outputs.

Thank you, this comment got me closer.

gnome-settings-daemon is not running and will not start.  Manually attempting to start results in these errors:
 failed to acquire org.gnome.SettingsDaemon
 could not acquire name

This lead me to realize my /etc/hosts did not reference my domain name.  I modified it like so:
::1                     localhost localhost.toyon.corp
127.0.0.1               localhost localhost.toyon.corp

gnome-settings-daemon still will not start with these errors:
 failed to acquire org.gnome.SettingsDaemon
 could not acquire name

Q1: Why can't gnome-settings-daemon "acquire org.gnome.SettingsDaemon"?
Q2: Why can't gnome-settings-daemon "acquire name"?

Thank you,

Chris