Date:      Tue, 4 Nov 2003 09:43:14 +0100
From:      Ilya Varlashkin <ilya@samara.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: (long) high traffic syslog server.

On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 06:05:33PM -0600, John wrote:
> I though maybe syslogd was the problem, but running nc on the syslog port and
> sending output to /dev/null still shows the buffer problem.

This looks like the system isn't processing interrupts from network card
fast enough. Try running 'systat -vm' and see if '%Intr' is high.

I'm not familiar with particular network card you're using, but try to check
if with some Intel 100Mbps card you get better performance.

If your syslog traffic load is always high, it doesn't matter how large buffers
you make - at some point they will be filled up if system can't cope with
such amount of traffic.

Kind regards,
Ilya Varlashkin