Date:      Wed, 5 May 1999 14:52:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        cjclark@home.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Updating Slice Table

On Tue, 4 May 1999, Crist J. Clark wrote:

> Doug White wrote,
> > On Tue, 4 May 1999, Crist J. Clark wrote:
> >
> > > I am doing some slice and partition resizing. I just used fdisk to
> > > steal some space from slice to another. Specifically, I took a chunk
> > > from 2 and gave it to 4, here is the new table,
> >
> > Er.....  this is not a good idea.
>
> If I need a bigger slice, what else can I do (short of adding a new
> drive)?

Create a new slice from th old slice's data.  If you're full on slices,
though, you're in a bit of a pickle.

Hm ... more research is needed!

> > > 8 partitions:
> > > #        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
> > >   c:  1333395        0    unused        0     0         # (Cyl.    0 - 82)
> > >   d:  1333395        0    4.2BSD     1024  8192    16   # (Cyl.    0 - 82)
> > >
> > > Now, why can I still read the disklabel? Anyway, I use 'disklabel -e
> > > -r wd0s4' to change the number of cylinders to 87 and the size of the
> > > partitions to 1397655, but when I try to save it, disklabel says,
> > >
> > > disklabel: No space left on device
> > > re-edit the label? [y]:
> >
> > You can't edit those values.  Also use 'disklabel -r -e wd0s4' to get the
> > right label (otherwise you get the one out of memory, which is useless).
> > You have to create a new partition and take on the new space.
>
> Does it really matter to disklabel whether I specify 'disklabel -r -e
> wd0s4' or 'disklabel -e -r wd0s4' on the command line? Why can't I
> edit those values? I'm root, dammit, I can do whatever I want! ;)

Well, I missed the -r you ran before due to the line wrap, sorry.  I've
run into this before; it has to do with making sure you're writing the
disklabel to the disk and not the one in core.

> BTW, I did reboot the machine and the disklabel from wd0s4 had been
> cleaned from wherever it was being read. I wrote a new one, newfs'ed
> the partition, and all seems well.

It's that stupid in-core disklabel.

Doug White