Date:      Mon, 2 May 2011 19:53:07 -0400
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@msu.edu>
To:        Louis Marrero <louis_marrero@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: For My Edification

On Mon, May 02, 2011 at 06:47:11PM -0400, Louis Marrero wrote:

> Gentlemen,
>
> I have a number of really dumb questions that I hope you might be able to
> shed some light on.
>
> Although I am familiar with basic computer operation, I've been trying to
> understand a very experienced programmer friend that mixes Linux/Unix
> terminology in his vocabulary under the assumption that everyone knows the
> language.
>
> Being familiar only with general knowledge on the Windows XP that I use
> daily, I've gone on the web to find out more information on some of the
> terms used by this programmer, such as "BSD", "shell terminal", "nc -u",
> etc.  Since my friend knows that my computer is strictly MS Windows, when my
> friend writes down something like "In a shell terminal type nc -u
> 10.101.97.200 5555." it makes me wonder what I'm missing.
>
> Here are some questions that can help my understanding:
>
> 1.         I know that Windows is an OS, and Linux/Unix as well as FreeBSD
> are other Operating System.  My very basic question is this: Is it even
> possible to install a second OS, like FreeBSD on an existing Windows-based
> computer?

Yes.   In fact, the machine I am currently typing on is 'dual booted'
Win XP and FreeBSD.   The FreeBSD Handbook covers how to do it
quite well, though it might take a little studying to begin to
get the picture.   One note -- you need to install the MS system
first and then the FreeBSD system because MS does not like to
play friendly with other systems.

Study the handbook first so you have a more useful idea of what
things are and then ask more questions.

> 2.         Is it possible to link my Windows laptop to a web server with
> Unix or FreeBSD and exercise Unix/Linux commands.  If so, how is that done?

I don't think I understand what you are asking here well enough
to respond to this.

By the way, BSD stands for Berkley Software Distribution referring
to University of California at Berkley software development group
which originally took the Bell Labs experiment and built it up
in to a real OS and distributed it.   Then there is a long soap
opera of law suits and companies springing up to try and make a
quick $$$buck and finally some people put a fully free version.
That story has links on the FreeBSD web site too.

Have Fun,

////jerry