Date:      Wed, 24 Mar 1999 13:49:57 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Gregory A. Carter" <omni@dynmc.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org

I must be stupid but I sure as hell can't get /etc/hosts to setup the
localhost for the life of me.  Here's my config:

/etc/hosts:

127.0.0.1       localhost.dynmc.net     localhost

/etc/host.conf:

# $Id: host.conf,v 1.5 1998/11/16 02:02:30 jkh Exp $
# First try the /etc/hosts file
hosts
# Now try the nameserver next.
bind
# If you have YP/NIS configured, uncomment the next line
# nis

/etc/resolv.conf:

domain  dynmc.net
nameserver 127.0.0.1
nameserver 209.0.37.2
nameserver 209.209.29.2

I'm getting stuff like this..

(ns1)[66]:/etc# host localhost
Host not found.

(ns1)[67]:/etc# nslookup
*** Can't find server name for address 127.0.0.1: No response from server
Default Server:  ns1.interx.net
Address:  209.0.37.2

Now if I set my resolv.conf to:

domain  dynmc.net
nameserver 209.0.37.10
nameserver 209.0.37.2
nameserver 209.209.29.2

Which is the physical ip address of the machine it works perfect.   And
yes I have a localhost.rev setup and it's correct.

Any ideas why it apparently isn't reading /etc/hosts?

Greg

| Dynamic Networking Solutions                     InterX Technologies |
| Senior Network Administrator                bits/keyID 1024/7DF9C285 |
| omni@interx.net omni@itstudio.net omni@undernet.org omni@webpop3.com |
+--------[  DC 50 57 59 C3 76 46 E8 EB 75 A8 94 FE 96 9E D3 ]----------+