Date:      Tue, 19 Feb 2002 14:15:37 +0000 (UTC)
From:      naddy@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: more binutils problems..

Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu> wrote:

> If you use kernel modules, beware:
>
> When attempting to load a kernel module built with the new binutils, I
> crash like this:
>
> # kldload osf1

Yes.

I have osf1_enable=YES in rc.conf because I usually use a stripped
down kernel and load everything by module.  (See my sysctl_find_oidname()
message about what happens there.)  When I boot a GENERIC kernel,
rc tries to load the osf1 module and the box panics.

I don't know whether this is a general module problem, or specific
to osf1.ko, or specific to the situation (loading a module into a
kernel that already has it included).