Date:      Wed, 4 Oct 2000 12:01:31 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        marcus@vastnet.net
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ZIP disk booting in 4.1-RELEASE

marcus@vastnet.net writes:

> > Always glad to see people doing things differently.
> >
> > > It seems as if Zip disks must use the "c" partition to use the whole disk.
>  That's fine,
> > Are you *sure* you have to use partition C to be the entire disk? That
> > is the normal case, but it's not usually required. In particular, you
> > should be able to make other partitions point to the entire drive -
> > like the a partition. In fact, doing that and running off of it should
> > work.
> >
> I can't give you the exact message at the moment, but I'll send it as soon as
> I'm able.  I get all sorts of "operation not supported" errors when trying to
> make regular slices on the zip disk.  Only disklabel operations at the "c"
> level seem to be supported.

Yuck. You're right - I'm getting the same message. However, the
following let me use the a partition:

# disklabel -r /dev/da2 > /tmp/jazzlabel

[Edit jazzlabel, creating a copy of the c: line and calling it a:)
# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/da2 count=2
# disklabel -B -R -r da2 /tmp/jazzlabel
# newfs /dev/da2a

and it formatted it out to the right size. Doing a disklabel on the
thing just shows an "a" partition, but I can mount it and it claims to
have a gigabyte on it. I didn't fsck it, though.

> > Failing that, what messages are you getting when you try and boot?
> >
> No error messages, it just doesn't take the boot sector.  The Zip disk is
> probed, and the light flashes briefly, but it goes right on through to the IDE
> boot sector.  Thanks for any input! :)

That sounds like it might be a bios problem. Either that, or you
aren't getting a boot sector written to the device.

	<mike