Date:      Tue, 03 Dec 2013 11:57:34 -0600
From:      Mark Felder <feld@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BIND chroot environment in 10-RELEASE...gone?

On Tue, Dec 3, 2013, at 11:40, Michael Sinatra wrote:

> I am going to put as many of the bits together as I can to see if I can
> recreate the chroot environment via a port on 10.0-RELEASE.  I'll also
> submit a PR.  But I agree with the others that this is not a good idea,
> and if I had known that the port would remove support for chroot, I
> would have vigorously protested the switch to unbound.

There was no alternative; we couldn't keep BIND in base. BIND 9 will
certainly have a EoL before the EoL of FreeBSD 10.x, and we can't use
BIND 10 because it requires importing Python to base.

Keep in mind that Unbound is not planned to be a permanent addition to
base either. It's merely a stop-gap until Capser is complete, which will
then provide the DNS services in base.

http://blog.des.no/2013/09/dns-again-a-clarification/