Date:      Thu, 20 Jul 2000 23:19:37 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.osd.bsdi.com>
To:        Udo Schweigert <ust@cert.siemens.de>
Cc:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>, Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>, Gavin Cameron <gavin@itworks.com.au>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What does -RC mean? was: Re: Stable broken

> Anyway: it is a little bit annoying that the -stable branch keeps to be broke

Yes, it's annoying.  No, it wasn't supposed to happen.  Yes, this is a
special case.  There is usually always at least one right before a
major release, and the main criteria is deciding what the risk/reward
ratio is going to be for gating it in vs leaving people with whatever
version will ship without the quick "under the wire" merge.  In this
case, Darren messed up pretty badly here and I'm sure he feels bad
about it.  We're all human and this kind of thing does happen
occasionally, especially in open source projects where volunteers are
usually working a full-time job in addition to their work for the
project.  Learn from the mistakes made and move on is all we can do at
this point.

Even with the breakage, it was a reasonable call given the extremely
outdated nature of the currently shipping ipfilter code and the fact
that we've been trying to, erm, _strongly encourage_ Darren to take
real, hands-on ownership of his software in the FreeBSD CVS tree for
some time now.  Even if his timing could have been a lot better and
his CVS procedures more correct, it's still a win if we've now managed
to convince Darren that his IPFilter software and his personal
maintenance of it are important enough to FreeBSD that we were willing
to suffer even this level of pain to incorporate it into 4.1.

It's certainly my hope that Darren will now maintain IPFilter a little
more consistently (thus avoiding any need to slip anything in at the
last moment) and in ways that don't break the tree. :)

- Jordan