Date:      Sun, 10 Jun 2012 12:17:10 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Lars Eighner <luvbeastie@larseighner.com>
To:        Gary Aitken <freebsd@dreamchaser.org>
Subject:   Re: <alt>fn going to X

On Sun, 10 Jun 2012, Gary Aitken wrote:

> What's the trick to allow <alt>fn to still be used to switch vtys when
> running X?

> At first I thought it was the wm grabbing it, but I've disabled that and
> now it goes to whatever app has the focus.  Seems like something in the
> kernel has to grab it before it gets passed on to X.

KVM does not allow VT switching (at last report), but changes are promised.

Otherwise, in an xterm (or other terminal in X) dump xmodmap in
its reloadable form:

$xmodmap -pke > foo.txt

now you can edit foo.txt as you please.

This is mine with ctrl-alt-Fn mapped to VT_switching.

keycode  67 = F1 F1 F1 F1 F1 F1 XF86Switch_VT_1
keycode  68 = F2 F2 F2 F2 F2 F2 XF86Switch_VT_2

You may want, for example:

keycode  67 = F1 F1 F1 F1 XF86Switch_VT_1 F1 F1
keycode  68 = F2 F2 F2 F2 XF86Switch_VT_2 F2 F2

when you have finished editing, save this file to .xmodmap

because you used -pke and were careful in your editing, this can be loaded
by your window manager.

In fvwm2 that loading looks like:

+ I exec xmodmap .xmodmap

as in, for example:

DestroyFunc InitFunction
AddToFunc InitFunction
+ I Module FvwmBanner
+ I exec xphoon
+ I exec xmodmap .xmodmap
+ I exec xmodmap -e "keysym Num_Lock = Num_Lock Pointer_EnableKeys"
+ I exec xclipboard

You can also load .xmodmap by running

$xmodmap .xmodmap

in an xterm.

But you almost certainly want it loaded automatically (as in the fvwm2
example above), but how to do this in your particular window manager you
will have to discover from the documentation of your window manger.

--
Lars Eighner
http://www.larseighner.com/index.html