Date:      Tue, 28 Mar 2006 21:09:38 -0800
From:      Graham North <northg@shaw.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   How to clear userland?

--=======AVGMAIL-442A16927A29=======

Is there a nice tidy way to clear my userland - CLEAN without
jeopardizing or reloading the OS?

My 4.11 box is still stable - it started life as a webserver (my first
learning experience with Unix), then added printserver and was still
pretty light in "junk".  Recently however, I decided to add a mail
server - what with naivety and inexperience and looking at anti-spam and
uncle virus etc I think I clogged up my HD with too many  extras.

I would like to take it back to a barebones OS and reinstall userland
without having to re-install OS - can someone suggest safest and least
painful options.
Thanks,  Graham/

BTW - I stayed with 4.11 mainly because it is stable, and it does what
it is supposed to do - well, on fairly light hardware, IBM PIII-600 w.
256MB.  If it ain't broke......   When the hardware breaks it will
probably be time to upgrade the software and check out 6.x's new goodies
- or maybe it will be 7.x or 8.x by that time.  ..;--)
Cheers, G/

--
Kindness can be infectious - try it.

Graham North