Date:      Thu, 28 Oct 1999 14:29:19 -0700 (PDT)
From:      kristopher <kzentner@u.washington.edu>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cant these people spell?

On Wed, 27 Oct 1999, freebsd-chat-digest wrote:

>:So... What makes you god ? just because they cant type doesnt not mean they
>:dont need help.... rember one day you guys where a newbie too..... we  all
>:were I mean show some niceness geeze.. oh damm did I spell a word wrong time
>:for me to get bitch at too eh...
>
>Let's see, elipses too long and to short, misspelled remember, mean to
>newbies, 'Why should I have to use proper grammar and sentence structure'
>question.  If this were usenet, you'd already be getting a bonehead reply.
> Since this is a technical forum I'll just skip it.
>
>The ability to type a proper sentence has nothing to do with being new to
>computers.  If you can't write a letter effectively, you don't need to be
>using a computer, you need to be in school learning how to read and write.
>
> Jamie Bowden

Ummm...I think this was meant as a joke, and even if it wasn't you didn't
do a very good job in correcting him (yes you even spelled ellipses
wrong). There were far more spelling errors than that. Like most people
who are devout followers of prescriptive grammar you need to lighten up. A
thread like this could easily lead to a holy war between proper English
vs. American English vs. King's English. Posts on the 'net aren't meant to
be critiqued on some "standard". They are meant to be read for content.
Keep in mind you're being awfully harsh to our ESL friends out there.
There is no universally accepted standard of prescriptive written American
English (I don't care what Miss Manners says).

    Kristopher Zentner           |    "Would you tell me, please, which
    Aspiring Linguist            |     way I ought to go from here?"
    FreeBSD Advocate             |    "That depends a great deal on
    kzentner@u.washington.edu    |     where you want to go." said the Cat