Date:      Thu, 4 Nov 1999 11:50:08 +0200
From:      Barry Irwin <bvi@rucus.ru.ac.za>
To:        "Marcelo J. Iturbe" <marcelo@msm.cl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: basic networking question.

On Wed 1999-11-03 (13:24), Marcelo J. Iturbe wrote:
> Hello,
> I am familiar with Linux and I am new to FreeBSD.
> I have looked through the handbook, Networking FAQs, and perhaps my
> question is to basic.
> At Install time, I did not configure the network on the FreeBSD system.
> Thinking that all I would need to do is edit rc.network, but that is not
> turning out as easy as I thought it would be.
> All I want to do is specify the IP, Network, Broadcast, an default gateway
> of the machine!
> What needs to be specified in the rc.conf/network files?

look in /etc/rc.conf, lines you can add /edit are defined in
/etc/defaults/rc.conf, dont edit the latter however, as the /etc/rc.conf
overrides an settings in the defaults file.

> I tried to manually issue the command
> ifconfig ed0 IP.addess bradcast ip.broadcast netowrk ip.network
> and I got an error message that device ed0 did not exist.

it depends on the name of your network card. For example I have a 10/100 SMC
card which is known as rl0, similarly tx0 is the name on another server I
admin. ( ed0 is only for ne2000 or wd8013 comparible cards if I remember
correctly - This is one of the major gotcha's I had when migrating form
linux where everything is blithelycalled eth0)

below is a snippit of my rc.conf file

network_interfaces="rl0 lo0"
ifconfig_rl0="inet 192.168.2.1  netmask 255.255.255.0"
ifconfig_rl0_alias0="inet 192.168.1.3  netmask 255.255.255.0"
ifconfig_rl0_alias1="inet 192.168.1.6  netmask 255.255.255.0"

defaultrouter="192.168.2.129"

--snip--

> Do I have to recompile the kernel?
you shouldnt need to the GENERIC kernel should support all the network
cards.  havea look at the output of dmesg to see what the kernel detects
your card as.

Barry