Date:      Sun, 16 Jul 2006 22:41:39 -0400
From:      Anthony Agelastos <iqgrande@gmail.com>
To:        John Merryweather Cooper <john_m_cooper@yahoo.com>
Cc:        "E. J. Cerejo" <edu07643@yahoo.com.br>, DougB@FreeBSD.org, asa@agava.com, amistry@am-productions.biz, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: hpijs/hplip, foomatic-rip, and CUPS 1.2.0

On Jul 16, 2006, at 10:08 PM, John Merryweather Cooper wrote:

> Anthony Agelastos wrote:
>> On Jul 16, 2006, at 3:19 PM, Doug Barton wrote:
>>> For future reference, please don't post to both -ports and -
>>> questions.
>>
>> Thank you for this clarification.

>>> Yes. You need to follow the instructions at
>>> file:///usr/local/share/doc/hplip-0.9.11/install/step4/cups/net.html
>>
>> I do not think I explained my situation very well. This printer
>> (hp LaserJet 1160Le) is connected directly to my FreeBSD server
>> via USB. If I print something logged on the server (via lp for
>> instance), it prints. I wish to print to this printer from all of
>> the computers on my LAN. When I try to print something from one of
>> these computers, that is when it bombs and displays the foomatic-
>> rip error message (foomatic-rip failed).
>>
>> The directions on that sheet appear to be if I wanted to print to
>> this network printer that wasn't directly connected to the FreeBSD
>> server. Am I mistaken about this? Also, there is no button on the
>> printer that will print such a page, so I would have to figure out
>> how to find this IP address by other means. I cannot see how to
>> find it in the CUPS web interface. I assume CUPS issues it an IP
>> address.
>>
>> The error_log that I have posted on previous threads is attached
>> to this email (the successful print jobs were done locally while
>> the error occurred when I printed to the printer from my MacBook
>> Pro). Does anyone have any suggestions? I should note that prior
>> to the CUPS upgrade to 1.2.0 (and the recent gnutls update), my
>> setup was working (I was able to print from the server itself as
>> well as all of the rest of the computers on my LAN). I have
>> rebuilt all packages several times (except for the OS).
>>

>> On my MacBook Pro, when I go to the CUPS web interface, I see the
>> following for the printer:
>> hp_LaserJet_1160Le@192.168.0.3    HP LaserJet 1160 Foomatic/hpijs
>> (recommended)       Description: hp LaserJet 1160Le
>> Location: Den
>> Printer State: idle, accepting jobs.
>>
>> 192.168.0.3 is the IP address of my FreeBSD server on my LAN. It
>> looks as if Mac OS X 10.4.7 runs CUPS 1.1.23, but I could be
>> mistaken. It has found the printer through Bonjour (zeroconf I
>> believe is another name for it), so I didn't have to do any
>> configuring. Could there be an incompatibility within these
>> versions of CUPS? I have found the following page which lists
>> several issues and talks about how CUPS 1.2.0 is broken in several
>> places. Could one of these be the issue?
>>
>> http://www.bsdforums.org/forums/showthread.php?t=42391

>>> I'm working on that.
>> Thank you for your assistance on this.
>>>
>>> Doug
>>>
>>> --
>>>     This .signature sanitized for your protection

> You need to restart CUPS when the printer "attaches" via USB or
> else CUPS won't know about the USB port and you'll get this error
> every time.

I just did a /usr/local/etc/rc.d/cupsd restart and then printed
something from my laptop. Same error.
dell# lpstat -t
scheduler is running
no system default destination
device for Create_PDF: cups-pdf:/
device for hp_LaserJet_1160Le: /dev/ulpt0
Create_PDF accepting requests since Sun Jun 25 11:27:52 2006
hp_LaserJet_1160Le accepting requests since Sun Jul 16 22:36:15 2006
printer Create_PDF is idle.  enabled since Sun Jun 25 11:27:52 2006
printer hp_LaserJet_1160Le is idle.  enabled since Sun Jul 16
22:36:15 2006
         /usr/local/libexec/cups/filter/foomatic-rip failed
hp_LaserJet_1160Le-30   iqgrande          7168   Sun Jul 16 22:36:02
2006