Date:      Thu, 3 Oct 2002 21:17:27 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Reason: releng4 comp. hack, machdep.c 1.539 (was: cvsupd death (signal 6))

In article <Pine.GSO.4.10.10210031633520.9710-100000@pcnet1.pcnet.com>,
Daniel Eischen  <eischen@pcnet1.pcnet.com> wrote:
> Can you try the patch at:
>
>   http://people.freebsd.org/~deischen/sys.diffs
>
> I haven't had a chance to compile or test it, but it should
> be easy enough to fix if it doesn't (compile).
>
> I'm still not exactly sure why this causes problems for the
> modula 3 run-time.  I think Bruce may be right in that the
> modula 3 libraries/run-time need to be rebuilt with the
> larger ucontext.

Rebuilding the Modula-3 libraries wouldn't help, because they are
written in Modula-3 and don't include C header files.  It would
require actual changes to the Modula-3 sources to deal with this.

The changes to ucontext have broken the ability to run old binaries,
which historically has been considered unacceptable in the FreeBSD
project.

John
--
  John Polstra