Date:      Mon, 10 Jan 2005 21:04:02 -0800
From:      Dan Phiffer <dan@phiffer.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   New install won't boot

Hello,

I just installed a new 5.3 system that doesn't seem to want to boot.
Here is the process I followed:

1. Install onto two disks ad0 and ad1 (20GB and 80GB, respectively)
2. Slice each to maximum size using 165 (FreeBSD) type
3. Partition with /, swap, /var, /tmp, /usr on ad0 and /home on /ad1
each given ample space
4. Install minimal system from mini-CD
5. Configure network, configure as a gateway, enable SSH
6. Add user account, set root password
7. Reboot

At this point I'm given a series of error messages as the machine looks
for a system to boot to:

Invalid partition
No /boot/loader

FreeBSD/i386 boot
Default: 0:ad(0,a)/kernel
boot:
Invalid partition
No /kernel

FreeBSD/i386 boot
Default: 0:ad(0,a)/kernel
boot:

And it just kind of hangs at that point. The motherboard is an IWILL
and I've set it up to boot in this order:

CD-ROM
HDD1
HDD2

Is there anything I can try to debug this? It seems pretty mysterious.

Thanks for any help,
-Dan