Date:      Fri, 12 Sep 1997 08:53:14 -0500
From:      Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@americantv.com>
To:        skb@xmission.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Incoming mail disappears

On Sep 09, 1997 at 07:02:15AM -0600, Scott Brown wrote:
> I'm having a problem with my FreeBSD machine not being able to recieve
> incoming mail.  Mail sent to my machine bounces with the message
> "skb@asgard.slcc.edu... Deferred: Connection refused by
> cislab.slcc.edu.".  Which struck me funny, because cislab (my gateway
> machine) is a Netware server.  Asgard is my machine.

    > dig asgard.slcc.edu mx
    ;; ANSWERS:
    asgard.slcc.edu.        86332   MX      10 slcc-pcmailgw.cs.SLCC.edu.
    asgard.slcc.edu.        86332   MX      20 pcmailgw.cs.SLCC.edu.
    asgard.slcc.edu.        86332   MX      30 cislab.SLCC.edu.

The above information shows that your MX (Mail eXchange) records are
set up so that all mail directed to ``asgard'' is actually handled
by one of the 3 machines listed, in decreasing order of priority.

You won't be able to receive mail directly on your machine unless
the MX records are changed.  (eg: add asgard as a 0 MX for asgard).

The first 2 machines appear to be dead (I can't ping them from here),
and the third is refusing connections to it's sendmail port, which
is where the ``deferred'' information is coming from.  If this is a
transient error, (eg: the mailer on ``cislab'' is not running), then
the mail will be re-tried later.

If ``cislab'' really isn't set up to accept incoming mail, then there
currently doesn't appear to be any way to send mail to your machine.
--
Jonathan