Date:      Tue, 23 Apr 2019 21:01:22 +0000
From:      Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com>
To:        Balanga Bar <balanga.bar@gmail.com>
Cc:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>, freebsd-arm@freebsd.org, Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Marvell Kirkwood - anyone?

On Tue, Apr 23, 2019 at 08:27:10PM +0100, Balanga Bar wrote:
> Many thanks. Is this what I should use?
>
> ftp://ftp.fi.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/amd64/11.0-RELEASE/ports.txz

That is the metadata equivalent of:

   https://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/tags/RELEASE_11_0_0/

which is much later than the URL I gave you earlier.  (If you are able
to run with 11 instead of 8.3 you are _far_ better off.)

i.e. there are no packages in it, just the ports tree itself.

> Not really sure how this differs from portsnap fetch, but it seems to be
> what I'm looking for...

portsnap fetch points to a particular point in time (in general, "now").
It's not designed to be used to fetch historical points in time.

IMVHO you will quickly find that doing an SVN checkout of the above URL
is going to get you further along than just the ports.txz and then just
start patching.  Yes, there is a learning curve for SVN, but w/rt to the
work you want to do on both src and ports, it's the right tool for the job.

mcl