Date:      Fri, 16 Mar 2001 03:31:10 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Haikal Saadh <wyldephyre2@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.3-BETA

Haikal Saadh <wyldephyre2@yahoo.com> types:

> --- Matthew Emmerton <matt@gsicomp.on.ca> wrote:
> > > What is a BETA system? Is it similiar to CURRENT?
> >
> > Please search through the mailing list archives
> > before asking questions.
> > This has been answered many times over the last two
> > weeks.
> >
> > 4.2-STABLE became 4.3-BETA when the code was frozen,
> > prior to becoming
> > 4.3-RELEASE.
> >
> Oooh...as a newbie, I've been bitten twice by
> this...CVSUPing hoping the get the latest STABLE, but
> get a BETA (4.1.1, and now 4.3)... I always thought I
> had made an error in my supfiles, and since nothing
> major seemed to have broke, just ignored it.
>
> Perhaps it would be a good idea to make it so that
> either:
> - UPDATING mentions that it's a beta you have,
>   OR
> - not put BETAs into the STABLE branch?

Or maybe just read the FAQ <URL:
http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/admin.html#dmin.html#RELEASE-CANDIDATE >,
which makes it clear that the name changes just identify what point of
the release cycle that particular snapshot of -STABLE is at.

The name change tells you you have a beta, so having UPDATING tell you
that is redundant. UPDATING is for explaining about things that you
might break when updating, and so isn't the place for an explanation
of what the BETA means.

Not putting them on -STABLE would basically mean freezing stable at
that point, creating a new branch to put them on, having everyone work
on that branch, then merging it back into -STABLE when it becomes A
-RELEASE. That's a lot more painful - even if all you're doing is
tracking it - than dealing with questions from people who haven't
searched the web site.

	<mike