Date:      Mon, 15 Jan 2007 13:44:49 -0500
From:      John Nielsen <lists@jnielsen.net>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Cc:        Lars Stokholm <lars.stokholm@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Wireless NIC recommendation

On Monday 15 January 2007 12:54, Lars Stokholm wrote:
> Hi, I hope someone can help me with this, before I go mad (no pun
> intended.) :)
>
> I was initially looking for a relatively cheap 54Mbps, 802.11g- and
> WPA-capable network card, based on an Atheros chipset, but after
> spending the whole of last night looking for one - to no avail - I gave up.
>
> I'm almost about to conclude that Atheros is not the way to go. So now I
> want to know, if anyone can recommend ANY card, being cheap and
> supporting the features mentioned above. I don't mind using NDIS, as
> long as it works flawlessly. Also it would be good, if the card was a
> popular one, so community support is more available.

For driver support in FreeBSD, Atheros is definitely the way to go. Have you
looked through the listings here?

http://customerproducts.atheros.com/customerproducts/default.asp

Also, you failed to mention what your definition of "cheap" is, and what form
factor you're looking for (PCI, Cardbus, etc.) I would start with the
listings at the link above and look through products from the
cheaper-but-popular brands (D-Link, Belkin, Netgear, Linksys) to see if there
are any you can currently buy within your price range.

JN