Date:      Fri, 10 Aug 2007 02:12:42 +0000
From:      Mario Lobo <mario.lobo@ipad.com.br>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Convince me, please!

On Friday 10 August 2007 00:29, illoai@gmail.com wrote:
> On 08/08/07, Latitude <robertjx@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> > I'm interested in changing over to FreeBSD from Windows, but I'll have
> > to say, you guys don't really present a forceful argument to Windows
> > users of how easy the switch may be.

Short answer:

If windows did not convince you yet, you re not ready to be here. I think no
one on this list will try to do that because I beleive all of them convinced
themselves that they had to do something, to take the first step (and risks)
on the steep learning curve, and jump into the books.

If you want to break free of that never-ending cycle of
windowsupgrade/hadwareupgrade/windowsupgrade/hwupgrade (and on and on.... not
to mention the dark corners they put out on EVERY new version of it), then
Free is the name to run to.

But please dont be scared of the work involved. The sensation afterwards is
tenfold !! Ie been using FreeBSD since 2.2.8. FreeBSD is going version 7.0
(soon) and compared to most of these guys here, I consider myself a rookey.

And I can prety much say that most of them will read your questions and an
answer  will come from, AT very LEAST, one. The tone may vary according to
the FreeBSDer personality, BUT WE WILL HELP YOU. The one and only condition
is that you must be walking the path already.

We are all in the pool in our shorts, wet,swimming, getting tired sometimes
but having FUN, and you are outside, all dressed up in a suit, asking us if
you should jump in, if the water is cold, if you will die !!
Come on !! take a chance !! you wont beleive the water !!

good luck and best wishes

   //| //|         Mario Lobo
  // |// |         http://www.ipad.com.br
 //  //  |||||||  FreeBSD since 2.2.8 - 100% Rwindows-free