Date:      Tue, 30 May 2006 09:21:49 -0700
From:      Virgil Champlin <champlin@stupidog.org>
To:        Richard Cooper <ric@jonnycalcutta.com>
Cc:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Still having the same Tomcat problem

Richard Cooper wrote:
> Virgil Champlin wrote:
>> What does
>>
>> sockstat | grep 8005
>>
>> say?  I haven't seen your previous posts so forgive me if you've
>> answered this.  -virgil
>
> It returns nothing.

Yes, your error would indicate that.  I think a port collision gives an
"address already in use" error.  Here is the code that is failing.

         // Set up a server socket to wait on
         ServerSocket serverSocket = null;
         try {
             serverSocket =
                 new ServerSocket(port, 1,
                                  InetAddress.getByName("127.0.0.1"));
         } catch (IOException e) {
             log.error("StandardServer.await: create[" + port
             System.exit(1);
         }
I wonder what InetAddress.getByName("127.0.0.1"); returns in your case?
  I have the same Tomcat running on a 6.1-RELEASE i386, no problem.
I'll try it on an SMP amd64 in a few hours.  -virgil

> I hope you don't mind me ccing this to the list - it might be useful.

Not at all.  It just isn't very helpful yet.  Sorry.  -virgil