Date:      Sun, 23 Apr 2000 23:35:20 -0400
From:      "Marty Leisner" <leisner@rochester.rr.com>
To:        Assar Westerlund <assar@sics.se>
Cc:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, attila <attila@hun.org>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, leisner@rochester.rr.com
Subject:   Re: __func__ not declared for kernel build (5.0-CURRENT)

Assar Westerlund <assar@sics.se> writes  on 24 Apr 2000 02:43:28 +0200
     > Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com> writes:
     > >     obviously missing __FUNCTION__ was added by GCC many years ago,
but it was
     > >     a while before it's use in defines in header (.h) files was dealt
with
     > >     properly.
     >
     > You mean outside a function?  What's the proper way of dealing with
that?

     > >     I wish these stupid standards committees would just choose
     > >     something that people are already using rather then make up new
names!

     > The problem is that __func__ and __FUNCTION__ are not the same thing.
     > And thus it makes sense for them not the use same name.

What's different about them?

__func__ was defined in aztec C nearly two decades ago...I really looked
the appearance of a __func__ pseudomacro -- it made lots of stuff much easier
to understand (as opposed to __FILE__/__LINE__) -- but __func__ had to
be handled by the translater, not the preprocessor...