Date:      Wed, 9 Aug 2000 16:18:26 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@freebsd.org>
To:        Kostya <xyboct@yahoo.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: disturbing kernel messages

On Wed, Aug 09, 2000 at 07:06:53PM +0400, Kostya wrote:
> Hello everybody.
>
> When I configured my kernel I completeley excluded SCSI and PCMCIA
> devices, because I have none of them. Installation of a new kernel was
> quite normal, but when loading my new kernel prints:
>
> ...3.4 RELEASE #1 Wed Aug 9 00:12:42 MSD 2000...
> config> di zp0
> No such device: zp0
> Invalid command or syntax. Type '?' for help...
>
> In such a form the following devices are reported: ze0, lnc0, le0, ie0,
> fe0, ex0, ep0, ed0, cs0, wt0, scd0, mcd0, matcdc0, bt0, aic0, aha0,
> adv0. I neither have any propietary cd-interface, my cd is quite
> IDE-ordinary. To ensure, I even ereased all the lines with these devices
> in my kernel configuration file, re-compiled and installed it again.

That's why you are seeing these messages. What has happened is that in
the past (when you were using a GENERIC kernel) you did a ``boot -c''
and disabled all those devices. this info gets saved in
/boot/kernel.conf (or similarly named file) and used everytime you
boot. Now that you have a custom kernel without these devices they
can't be disabled during boot.

Remove all the relevant entries from /boot/kernel.conf (or rm(1) the
whole file) and the messages will go away.

> This, of course, is not critical, but a bit disturbing and I'd like to
> know what causes these messages.

		4.4 - The number of the Beastie