Date:      Tue, 6 Aug 2002 22:15:24 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Michael Wells <mwvw@adelphia.net>
Cc:        Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>, FreeBSD LIST <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Peter heads back to M$FT WinBloze

On 2002-07-26 17:29 +0000, Michael Wells wrote:
> That being said, I think it would be a long time before I could be
> totally M$ free as much as I want to.  This list has been extremely
> helpful in getting me through several issues.  One idea I have been
> thinking about is creating local support groups.

This works remarkably well given a small "core" of highly competent,
enthusiastic members that will jump up and down and shout for a
sufficiently long period of time "WE ARE HERE".

This is the basic idea behind the dozens of LUGs that I joined while I
was a Linux enthusiast.  I have travelled as far as Rome and Naples in
Italy to meet others who shared the same interests.  I have met a lot
of people who enjoy what they are doing, and have learned many things
by talking to them.  Meeting others and talking is a very important
way of learning new things.  This does not mean that less weight
should be put in personal education though.  Many of the finest
details I know about a lot of things are results of personal
experimentation.

To the original poster:

The best way to learn about FreeBSD as a desktop OS is to use it as a
desktop OS.  Don't be disappointed if at first all seems bizarre and
chaotic.  There is a pattern.  Actually, many patterns.  Once you
start spending a lot of time on a UNIX machine, you'll notice that
there are things you can do with FreeBSD, Linux or the other free
UNIXes that Windows can not even dream about[1].

Go forth and use FreeBSD.  Play around.  Learn about it.  Don't have
any expectations at first.  Not until you know how to use everything,
and feel comfortable moving around.  Then, it will be the proper time
to see if you like what you have or not.

- Giorgos

[1] The reverse is also true, but this fact doesn't mean the statement
    is false.