Date:      Sat, 7 Mar 1998 23:31:27 -0500 (EST)
From:      Daniel Berlin <root@danberlin.resnet.rochester.edu>
To:        ainvar@enteract.com
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CD burners: recommendations?

On Sat, 7 Mar 1998 ainvar@enteract.com wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 05, 1998 at 11:17:13PM -0500, Daniel Berlin wrote:
> > MP6200s from Ricoh.
> > I've gotten that thing to work on every OS known to man.
> > And some known only to Aliens (IE Linux for the 3BX$#&@!*#&!@# (it's
> > unpronouncable in your hoo-man languages))
> > --DAn
>
> Really?  I haven't been able to accomplish anything with my IDE
> version of this drive....

That's because their expertise was in making scsi drives, or at least
that's my view. I think this is one of the first, if no the first, IDE
product they have ever had out
 > FreeBSD doesn't know it.
>
> The Windows 95 software they include doesn't support Rockridge
> extensions, which seems to be required if you want to make a CD
> with long filenames (a FreeBSD CD, for example..)
Hmm, i wonder if the latest firmware fixed this?
One firmware upgrade improved the speed of the scsi from 5x to 6x (by
reducing the overhead in scsi access time i guess)

> I haven't tried Linux.. how is its support?  I could install
> Linux on the Windows 95 machine, then use Linux to create BSD cds..
> but then how would I get Linux installed??-- Linux doesn't support
> FTP install and I am not paying $50+ for a copy of linux on a cd..

What?
Both debian and redhat support ftp installs.
Having used every os on the planet, let me tell you, i'd rather stick with
freebsd. It's better maintained. Or at least, i find it friendlier.
--DAn