Date:      Wed, 8 Nov 2000 03:34:20 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   /usr/bin/mail and envelope-sender

Can I use some option to change the envelope sender address in /usr/bin/mail?
When I call mail(1) with option -h (an invalid option), I can see:

    % mail -h
    mail: illegal option -- h
    Usage: mail [-iInv] [-s subject] [-c cc-addr] [-b bcc-addr] to-addr ...
                [- sendmail-options ...]
           mail [-iInNv] -f [name]
           mail [-iInNv] [-u user]

The third line suggests that anything passed to mail(1) after a single hyphen
char, is a sendmail option.  However, trying to pass options in sendmail with:

    % mail - -fuser@domain.gr

does not seem to work.  Has anybody with more experience using mail(1) tried
to change his/her envelope-sender address while using /usr/bin/mail?

- giorgos