Date:      Mon, 17 Jul 2000 10:07:41 +0200
From:      Dirk GOUDERS <hank@et.bocholt.fh-gelsenkirchen.de>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why don't I get the tutorials with the DOC distribution?

Nik,

thanks for all the explanation.

 > > Well, I started to reread the HTML version of docproj-primer online
 > > from FreeBSD.org but my eyes began to hurt and I said to myself: "Why
 > > don't you just get the post script version, send it to the printer and
 > > stop causing pain to your already weak eyes, anymore?"...
 > >
 > > Now, I am somewhat frustrated, because I haven't been successful even
 > > with that simple task.
 >
 > ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/doc/*
 >
 > > I would be glad if someone could explain me
 > > the "usual" way to get the tutorials.
 >
 > In the articles/ directory.

I found the tutorial at the specified location - most of them.
Maybe I should have pointed out that the turorial I am particular
interested in is the docproj-primer and this is one I cannot find
there.

I used the web interface to cvsup and had a look at
http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/doc/en/tutorials/docproj-primer/.

Seems as if everything there went into the attic and therefore I don't
get any of the files using cvsup.  Is that correct?

 > However, note that the FTP directory above also contains the documentation
 > in FreeBSD package format, so you can use the pkg_* commands to add them,
 > update them, and so on.

Again, I cannot find docproj-primer* there.

 > Also, you're probably looking at the index.html files, right?  If you look
 > at the {book,article}.html files you'll see the documentation in one big
 > file.  You can load this into Netscape (or whatever) and print it out,
 > instead of needing to load in all the smaller files and print them one at
 > a time.

Yes, that will be my final option but before doing that I wanted to
understand what I am doing wrong that I cannot find the docproj-primer
in any other format than HTML.

Dirk