Date:      Mon, 17 Mar 2008 12:16:10 +0100
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Johan_Str=F6m?= <johan@stromnet.se>
To:        Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HP ProLiant DL360 G5 success stories?

On Mar 17, 2008, at 9:52 AM, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 08:33:20AM +0100, Johan Str=F6m wrote:

http://bizsupport.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00553302/c0=
0553302.pdf

>>> iLO2 ActiveX based remote console (Integrated KVM) can still do
>>> text only console without license but it doesn't work too well IMHO.
>>> The Java based console is the same, text will work out license but
>>> graphics
>>> mode and that includes certain VESA text modes.
>>>
>>> Standard iLO gives the graphical console and virtual media. On Blade
>>> servers
>>> the graphical access and virtual media is included. And the Advanced
>>> license
>>> gives extra stuff like integration into AD for authentication afik.
>>
>> How about SSH mode? SSH and view textmode at boot (serial rdr in =20
>> bios too?)
>> and console @ serial in fbsd (bootloader and on). Does that work =20
>> good or
>> "not to well" either?
>
> I have to chime in here.
>
> Who cares if it has SSH support?  iLO, LOM, and serial console should
> all be done over a *private network*, and should NOT be hooked up to a
> publicly-accessible network or given public IPs.  I cannot stress how
> important this is.  DO NOT put stuff like this on the public Internet:
> you will regret it.
>

> The advantage to iLO is that it's the equivalent of KVM-over-IP,
> supporting virtual media too (read: an ISO image on your laptop/local
> client machine being used as a CD on the server itself, thus you can
> install whatever OS you want, etc.).  You get NATIVE VGA CONSOLE
> remotely on the machine -- there is no "serial console", and that's
> always best.  I've seen it in action, and it's *awesome*.

For advanced license yes. Thats another $400 or so (which might not be =20=

very much money for big corps but for me and my one server =20
installation its more..)

> Said iLO capability usually works over a series of TCP or UDP ports,
> somtimes even supporting HTTP (on the iLO module itself!) which =20
> means if
> its on a private network, you can tunnel to it using SSH or similar
> utilities via another box in the co-lo.  Then simply access
> 127.0.0.1:whatever in the ActiveX, Java, or native Win32/Linux client
> and voila -- you have the machines' native VGA console in front of =20
> you,
> with no issues relating to serial console.  No more "ohhh, the bootup
> configuration uses 9600bps, but our serial console servers are
> configured to use 115200bps... but the disk isn't booting so it's =20
> still
> using 9600bps at that stage, now I HAVE to go to the datacenter"
> scenarios.

Yep, there are some downsides with serial console. But if it works, =20
i'd rather use a normal ssh client in my terminal together with the =20
virtual serial port than sitting in a web browser. But i'll guess I'm =20=

going to evaluate the serial port option when I get the box, and if it =20=

isnt working to good i'll just have to throw up the money and get the =20=

advanced license (even if i'd rather use that money on more "fun" =20
things..)

> I do not trust IPMI based on stories I have heard from Yahoo! SAs,
> talking about how every implementation is different (so much for a
> "standard"), and how the number of bugs in Supermicro's IPMI
> implementation are absurd.  Supposedly Intel and others have done a
> better job with it, but I lost all interest in it once I found that
> there was no real "standard".  Besides, anything that "piggybacks" on
> top of an existing LAN port (even some iLO implementations do this!) =20=

> is
> worth avoiding.  I do not want to deal with a single NIC emitting two
> separate MAC addresses -- and that's what happens.  It's sometimes
> referred to as "ASF" as well.

I've got a supermicro ipmi card now and.. I'm afraid I cannot describe =20=

it with better words than "crappy toy".. Constant IPMI card restarts/=20
crashes, the serial consol java browser applet stopping responding, =20
firmware upgrades that b0rks the card totally etc...

--
Johan=