Date:      Tue, 2 Jul 2002 10:21:11 -0400
From:      Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        baszd-meg@excite.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to get back FreeBSD-dumped data with linux-restore.

On Tuesday 02 July 2002 09:52 am, baszd wrote:
| Hi!
|
| > There are a number of possible ways to handle this.
|
| Ok, I forgot some possibilities...
|
| > The first is to *not* use dump and restore at all, but to use one of the
| > many
| > portable solutions for backup and restore, such as "tar",
| > "cpio", "afio", or
| > "pax."  That way, you can back up and restore from any old
| > system, and you
| > can switch, mix, and match backup servers willy-nilly.
|
| I think those old-school tools won't match my needs. I have to backup about
| 20 GB from that FreeBSD server. If I need maybe a file with a size of a few
| kb, than I have to wait hours to get it back (correct me if I'm wrong).

This varies from tool to tool, and you should read up on them, but in general
it shouldn't take very long to restore a single file.  The only thing that
should slow it down the seek time, and you have to pay that price no matter
what you use to do the backup. Since tapes are random-access devices you
basically have to read everything from the start of the tape onward to find
anything on the tape, but this is true regardless of the software tool
involved.

Since backup and restore just backup the file system "as is" and don't
translate, they are less intensive to backup and when doing the actual file
restores, but finding a single file out of the archive is probably a win for
the others; I very much doubt that it's a lose.

And as for the backup time, it's entirely likely that this process is
entirely i/o bound so that that other tools won't slow you down much.

The big drawback is that they don't automatically do all that
"daily/weekly/monthly" automated interleaved stuff.  You'd have replicate
that yourself with a perl script or something.

| > disk as long as the disk was mounted across the network to the Linux
| > machine
|
| All right, that's an idea. It would be easy to mount the slice via nfs  (or
| even via smb), but the disadvantage is a weak security.

You could use afs if you want a really high level of security.  You must
somehow be getting the data for multiple machines now; how do you do that?
Note also that if you wnat to go for ultimate security you an physically move
the disk since each can mount the other's files directly.

| > "restore" machine for dual-boot, since I presume that it's
|
| That would be feasible, but somehow circumstantial.

I'm not sure that I understand this one.

| > It also *might* work to use FreeBSD exclusively on the restore machine,
| > and
| > run the *Linux* restore under the Linux eumulator for doing the
|
| Mhm, could be dangerous as long as unexpectable flaws can occur.

Yes . . . has anybody tried this?  Does it work?

| > Hope this helps.
|
| Yes, thanx! It helps to think about some alternatives. However I'll check
| out the dump | dd-thing first and see how reliable it is.

That's surely easiest if this is a one-shot problem.

--
Brian T. Schellenberger . . . . . . .   bts@wnt.sas.com (work)
                                        http://www.babbleon.org

http://www.eff.org                      http://www.programming-freedom.org

If you smell the smoke you don't need to be told what you've got to do;
Yet there's a certain breed, so very in-between, they'd rather take a
vote.   -- DEVO  --  Here To Go