Date:      Tue, 7 Dec 1999 14:02:55 +0200 (EET)
From:      Domas Mituzas <midom@dammit.lt>
To:        Bob Bishop <rb@gid.co.uk>
Cc:        Szilveszter Adam <sziszi@petra.hos.u-szeged.hu>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Out of swap hangs machine

Hello to all,
maybe I missed some discussion, but out-of-swap can occur during large
email delivery (e.g. if you accept huge email messages, you should know,
that for example procmail uses ~twice the memory the message takes). So
one or several email messages can cause your system crash, if you do not
have enough swap. Even mail servers, that have 64megs of ram should have
at least 200 megs of swap.

If the out of memory occurs, such proccesses will stop working properly,
even if memory usage decreases:
qmail (qmail-lspawn hangs)
apache (root process core dump)
inetd (dumb errors in front of every connection :-)
mysqld (core dump - malloc not working)
etc

So, just few words about stability. I reported to apache and made a small
patch for inetd, as error messages as "inetd in realloc()" will make POP3
and other protocols not working.

With respect,
Domas Mituzas