Date:      Mon, 21 Apr 1997 11:52:51 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        michael@memra.com (Michael Dillon)
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Need a common passwd file among machines

Michael Dillon stands accused of saying:

> RADIUS is used by terminal servers to authenticate users by "going to some
> server and asking him" and you can have a backup RADIUS server in case the
> primary one goes down. I think ISP's would find it easier to manage a site
> using RADIUS for all authentication, not just terminal servers.

Unfortunately, Livingston have put some anal restrictions on their latest
RADIUS server code.

> But more importantly, I think that systems need to have a hook in the
> authentication procedure so that the sysadmin can install their own
> allow/deny code so that certain servers can still authenticate via RADIUS
> but only certain users or only at certain times of day or only logins from
> the console or from certain IP addresses.

This is one of the goals of the PAM framework.  I hope to have some time
next week to get myself back up to date with PAM and update my BSD
port of it.  Once I have it building and linkable, it will be time to
start discussing how to integrate it. 8)

> In general, OSes with source are easy to fit into this kind of a scenario
> but other ones (Solaris, SCO, IRIX, NT) are not.

Solaris at least will be using PAM in 2.6 in a publically-visible
fashion; it does in 2.5 but not usefully.

This allows you to provide binary authentication/administration
modules without requiring any source hackery.