Date:      Fri, 22 Mar 2002 18:31:11 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Jake Burkholder <jake@locore.ca>, bmah@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DP1 release candidate 1

At 7:52 PM -0500 3/21/02, Jake Burkholder wrote:
>I've uploaded a new iso image and distribution tarball.
>Once again you can get this stuff here:
>	http://people.freebsd.org/~jake/sparc64/

Well, I bought myself a cheap ultra-10 and used the ISO
here to install onto it.  Installing it wasn't too bad,
and I seem to be up and running OK.

One thing I wasn't sure of: can I enable softupdates on
the partitions?

In a different message, Bruce A. Mah wrote:
>Hi folks--
>
>I've activated the sparc64 install document in the release
>documentation for 5.0-CURRENT.

>The main reason I'm activating the document up now is to give the
>translation teams time to work on it before 5.0-DP1.
>
>In the src tree:	src/release/doc/en_US-ISO8859-1/installation/sparc64/
>Rendered versions:	http://people.freebsd.org/~bmah/relnotes/

I followed http://people.freebsd.org/~bmah/relnotes/ while doing
the install, and it was very helpful up to around section 1.5.
At that point it gets rather low on details, although that was
far enough along that I was able to fumble my way thru the rest
of it.  Should I send along a few lines describing the exact
steps that I went thru?  Anything I write would only cover the
cdrom-install, not the network install (although I imagine it
would also apply there).

I was also thinking it might be nice if the initial "distrib"
tar file included an initial etc/fstab.ad0 file.  That way,
people who are booting up off disk ad0 could just
     cp etc/fstab.ad0 etc/fstab
and they'd have the first few partitions defined.  Even if they
did not go with a bland/standard partitioning scheme, this would
provide an example to get the ball rolling.

Also I found it useful to type in:
      stty rows 34 columns 80
before trying to edit things at the console.  would it make
sense to put that in the some login-file for /root, setting it
if `tty` = /dev/ofwcons?

I've only been on for a little while, so that's about all I have
to suggest for helpful changes to the image.  Where should I
send suggestions for the installation notes?