Date:      Thu, 28 Jun 2007 13:11:59 -0700
From:      "Kevin Downey" <redchin@gmail.com>
To:        "Roberto Nunnari" <roberto.nunnari@supsi.ch>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: em0 net interface Link state changed to UP too late at boot time

On 6/28/07, Roberto Nunnari <roberto.nunnari@supsi.ch> wrote:
> Thank you Gilbert.
>
> I think I will give that a try.
>
> But it seams to me that is not the solution.. it may
> be a workaround but not a solution.. It seams to me
> that early_late_divider is in case you mount a FS
> like /usr/local where there are startup scripts executed
> at the late stages of the boot process.. and that's
> not my case.. my case is that the em0 interface, somehow
> gets ready too late.. it doesn't react in a responsive
> way to the up command.. I have other boxes with different
> NICs, mounting that FS without problem and without
> the early_late_divider option.
>
> Can anybody tell why this strange behaviour started
> after upgrading from 5.3-RELEASE to 6.1-RELEASE (that
> was last summer or early fall). May it be related with
> the problems of the em driver? Is there a solution?
>
> is there a way to tell the boot system to wait until
> ifconfig_em0 is be up?
>
> or a way to have em0 responde up before in the boot stage?
>
> Thank you again.
> Best regards.
>
> --
> Robi
>

> Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> > Roberto Nunnari <roberto.nunnari@supsi.ch> writes:
> >
> >> ..but on the other box (the em0 one that at the second
> >> retry will succed to mount the NFS FS) is there since
> >> I upgraded it from 5.3-RELEASE to 6.1-RELEASE
> >>
> >> Again.. any hints?
> >
> > I think you're looking for the early_late_divider as described in the
> > manual for rc.conf(5).

if you are using dhcp there is an option to run dhcp in the
background, which means the system doesn't stop and wait for dhcp to
configure the address. So if you are using dhcp take a look at the
dhcp variables in the rc.conf manpage

--
i'll unhook my oily pink mini-kimono, you kill him in honolulu --
www.thelastcitadel.com