Date:      Sat, 19 Jun 2010 02:34:25 +1100
From:      Dima Panov <fluffy@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Cc:        Giorgos Tsiapaliokas <terietor@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: change kde4 (pkg) to kde4 (ports)

--nextPart2756581.P9Y500tjoZ

On Saturday 19 June 2010 01:28:51 Polytropon wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 14:21:30 +0300, Giorgos Tsiapaliokas <terietor@gmail.=
com> wrote:
> > i know that i can reinstall the packages and install them again as port=
s but
> > i don't want to do that,i want to convert the package installiation into
> > ports installiation.
>=20
> Okay, I think I basically understand. :-)
>=20
> First of all, I think you mean to DE-install the installed
> packages, not RE-install them.
>=20
> In oder to install KDE from ports, you need to removed the
> currently installed software (no matter if it has initially
> been installed by packages or ports).
>=20
> The de-installation of installed software can be done with
> pkg_delete, or with "make deinstall" from the ports infra-
> structure. In order to do the last thing, you would do
> something like this:
>=20
> 	# cd /usr/ports/x1/kde4
> 	# make
> 	# make deinstall
> 	# make reinstall

Not right. By this way you deinstall metaport only.=20

>=20
> This procedure would first compile all the stuff, then remove
> the existing installation, and finally installing the just
> compiled new software. See if you need "make config-recursive",
> too; see "man 7 ports" for details.
>=20
> There's one thing I'm not sure about, maybe someone else could
> explain this: KDE4 as in /usr/ports/x1/kde4 is a so called
> meta-port. If someone does "make deinstall" for a meta-port,
> will it run "make deinstall" on all its parts (which are ports)?
>=20
> If you're using a port & package management tool, such as
> portmaster, portupgrade or portmanager, I think the solution
> is much easier:
>=20
> 	# portupgrade -Rf kde4

Wrong again. Please carefully read ports/UPDATING for upgrade instructions
for all time since your binary package was releases.=20

>=20
> See "man portupgrade" for details. The portupgrade program
> acts as a "front-end" to the ports infrastructure, and so
> controls the "make", "make install", "make clean" and so
> on steps.
>=20
>=20
>=20

=2D-=20
Dima "Red Fox" Panov @ Home | C73E 2B72 1FFD 61BD E206 1234 A626 76ED 93E3 =
B018
Khabarovsk, Russia          | 2D30 2CCB 9984 130C 6F87 BAFC FB8B A09D D539 =
8F29
KDE@FreeBSD Team | FreeBSD committer since 10.08.2009 | FreeBSD since Sept =
1995
Twitter: fluffy_khv | Skype: dima.panov | Jabber.[org|ru]/GTalk/QIP: fluffy=
=2Ekhv