Date:      Mon, 27 Oct 1997 03:13:58 -0800 (PST)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        perhaps@yes.no
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, imp@village.org, jdp@polstra.com, mark@quickweb.com, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CVSUP vs. SNAPS

 * (2) Make uname info of what is now 2.2-STABLE usable to determine if
 *     features of a certain release is available.

This is not nearly enough for moving targets like -stable or -current.
What we need is something much more fine-grained if we want uname to
return useful information.

One thing we can do is to include __FreeBSD_version somewhere in
there.  (It is already available as "sysctl kern.osreldate", and has
been used by many ports for this purpose.)  However, looking at
-current this value doesn't appear to have been bumped nearly often
enough.  I've been changing it in 2.2-stable as often as I notice
something going in, but it's quite possible I have missed some stuff.

Unless the 2.2 -> 2.2.5 change is accompanied by something else (like
the one Nate mentioned) that makes the string actually useful, I am
against it as it only moved the problem and adds a false sense of
accuracy.

Satoshi