Date:      Tue, 18 Jun 2002 12:53:39 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gordon Tetlow <gordon@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>
Cc:        Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>, Trish Lynch <trish@bsdunix.net>, Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.org>, <arch@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: 4.x compatibilty.. Was: MFC of rcNG?

On Tue, 18 Jun 2002, Sheldon Hearn wrote:

> 	We make rcNG the default for 5.0-RELEASE, so that the hurdle is
> 	encountered when upgraders are most expecting hurdles.  We make
> 	it clear in the release notes for 5.0-RELEASE that rcOLD, while
> 	still supported, may go away at some point in the lifespan of
> 	RELENG_5.

The problem isn't that we want to get rid of rcOLD (well, maybe we do =),
but more the problem of maintenance. DougB and I don't have a whole lot of
time to dedicate to keeping things in sync. That said, we plan on making a
best effort to keep everything glued together.

Finally, I think a wait and see attitude is the best option. Let's figure
out how much of a headache we will have before throwing aspirin at it.

-gordon