Date:      Fri, 14 Apr 2006 22:10:14 -0700
From:      Jacob Meuser <jakemsr@jakemsr.com>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ffmpeg question

On Fri, Apr 14, 2006 at 11:54:18PM -0400, Joe Auty wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Doing a:
>
> cat /dev/cxm0 > myvideo.mpg
>
> produces great mpeg2 video... However:
>
> ffmpeg -i /dev/cxm0 -t 10 test_ffmpeg.mpg
>
> produces 10 seconds of mpeg1 video that doesn't look as good.
>

> I've tried adding -f <format> and -vcodec options with -s 640x480,
> but I just can't seem to find something that will reproduce my raw
> feed without errors, loss of picture, the size being off, or
> reverting back to mpeg1.
>
> To save me a little further time in just random trial and error, can
> anybody hook me up with the combination I need?

sorry, but what exactly are you trying to do?  what is lacking with
the cat command?

most likely, if you are running a transcoder (like ffmpeg, mencoder
or transcode), it is decoding the input into raw YUV or RGB and then
back to MPEG.  this is a lossy and time/cpu consuming process.

--
<jakemsr@jakemsr.com>