Date:      Sun, 10 Jul 2016 21:27:17 +0200
From:      "Vlad K." <vlad-fbsd@acheronmedia.com>
To:        Freebsd Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   A few problems with Gitlab

This is the first time I'm trying to install Gitlab and first time I
have to do anything with a Ruby application. So I'm not sure if these
problems are due to my misconfiguration, or a few bug reports to be
filed:

1. Unicorn does not start, fails at trying to symlink
.gitlab_shell_secret into /usr/local/shared/gitlab-shell/

I assume that's because it's running as user "git" and the above shared
dir is owned by root:wheel. Symlinking manually allows Unicorn to start.

2. The user "git" has home in /usr/local/www/gitlab, but there's a repos
dir created under /home/git, which is not a symlink to /usr/home, while
at the same time default config for gitlab_shell.repos_path is
/usr/home/git/repositories

This I found having followed the official documentation, step
"Initialize Database and Activate Advanced Features", which failed at
trying to create a root repo under /usr/home which doesn't exist.

3. After all this, trying to load up the application via https. Times
out, I get 502. While it is timing out I can see:

- the database is idle in transaction on two queries
- the "node" process eats up 100%+ of WCPU

   PID USERNAME    THR PRI NICE   SIZE    RES STATE    TIME    WCPU
COMMAND
  1681 git           6  22    0   762M   167M usem     0:06 117.97% node

- this "usem" state looks like a semaphore, so I reduced the Unicorn
workers to 1, thinking that would help at least to get it going, but it
didn't.

- no error logged anywhere except gitlab-workhorse.log which logs the
502:

2016/07/10 19:23:01 error: proxyRoundTripper: GET
"/users/password/edit?reset_password_token=gFAktGuSGtRZp3vAyytZ" failed
with: "EOF"
2016/07/10 19:23:01 ErrorPage: serving predefined error page: 502

Yes, the initial visit to the app root redirects to /users/password/edit
which times out. Any suggestions what I should try next?

--

Vlad K.