Date:      Thu, 3 Sep 1998 11:18:12 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Nathan Ahlstrom <nrahlstr@winternet.com>
To:        Jason Myers <celest@mindspring.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Network Interface Card Driver Support??

> I'm currently trying to install FreeBSD 2.2.6 on a machine that has a 3Com
> 3C905B NIC.  During the boot (from floppy) it detects the NIC, but says
> that <No Driver was Installed (or used)>.  It detects the PCI NIC on irq
> 12.  In the FreeBSD (revision 2) manual that I purchased from Walnut Creek,
> it says that vx0 support the 3c9xx cards?  But all the other documentation
> I've found says nothing about the 3c9xx cards.  Is this NIC supported by
> FreeBSD at all?  If not, when will it have support for it?

The very lastest -stable snapshots have support for this card.  I believe
it was integrated early last week.  You can find the latest snapshots at
releng22.freebsd.org.  The driver is named the xl driver.

> Also, on install from the boot floppy, choosing -cv from the boot option.
> going into the userconfig and removing all the CONF entries and modifying
> to the correct hardware (with the exception of the NIC) so that nothing
> conflicts.  Choose Q and then S to save.  A: drive lights up for a bit, and
> then the harddrive.  getting a white block in the upper left corner of the
> screen (rest of screen is black) and it never proceeds with the install.
> What is the problem here?

I suspect you are deleting the system console device, but I am not sure.
Make sure that you do not disable syscons.

If you need any further assistance let me know.

Good Luck,

Nathan