Date:      Wed, 6 Nov 2002 02:44:21 -0800
From:      Maxime Henrion <mux@freebsd.org>
To:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        chuck_tuffli@agilent.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: load time module parameters?

M. Warner Losh wrote:
> In message: <20021105222958.GH17013@cre85086tuf.rose.agilent.com>
>             Chuck Tuffli <chuck_tuffli@agilent.com> writes:
> : I'm a newbie to FreeBSD and am wondering if there is a way to pass
> : loadable kernel modules parameters. Under Linux, if a module had
> : configurable parameters "a" and "b", you can do something like
> :
> :    insmod module.o parameters="a:10 b:5"
> :
> : I noticed that some of the drivers grabed information from the
> : "environment" using getenv_int(), but I couldn't seem to get this to
> : work. Thanks for any thoughts.
>
> You can generally do this with hints and/or kernel environment
> variables.  However, you can't easily edit these things once you
> boot.

With kenv(1) you can modify kernel environment variables, which hold the
tunables.  Previously, you could only set those at boot time.  Now you
can have load time module parameters, and you can do things like unload
a module, change the parameter, reload it and it will take effect
immediately.  This is really useful for things which need to be gathered
by the module at load time, because the module can't use a sysctl for
this if it's at load time.

I have patches which make the IPFIREWALL_DEFAULT_TO_ACCEPT setting
dynamic with kernel environment variables.  So people can install
FreeBSD, use the already compiled ipfw module and still change this
setting.

Cheers,
Maxime