Date:      Thu, 02 Nov 2006 21:19:39 -0600
From:      Eric Schuele <e.schuele@computer.org>
To:        Robert Huff <roberthuff@rcn.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /var corrupted.....

On 11/02/2006 09:25, Robert Huff wrote:
> Eric Schuele writes:
>
>>  How can I force a reinstall of a port and all its deps.
>
> 	The port itself will handle anything "above".

Well, that's what I had thought would happen, but the port does not seem
to re-register the dependencies. It simply notes that they are present,
and builds and registers the port I have attempted to `make install`.
So for example if I go to /usr/ports/www/firefox, and `make install` it.
  I only end up with firefox in my /var/db/pkg folder.  None of its deps
appear.

> 	As for things "below" ... you're pretty much hosed.  If the pkg
> db (or equivalent) existed, it would know which ports had been
> installed and could rebuild things.
> 	Without the pkg db, the only record of what _should_ be
> installed is in your head.

Yes.. this is now painfully obvious to me.  I guess in some way I had
thought the pkg db, was simply a convenience.  But I now realize it is
*the authority* on what is installed on your machine.  While I do plan
to back it up from now on... I have added the two small scripts to my
toolbox as well.

I alias the following as port_install
#!/bin/sh

#
# Used to create a log file of things I have installed on a machine
#

make install clean && \
     printf "`pwd`\t\t\t`date`\n" >> /root/maint/install/port_install.log

and the following as port_deinstall (mind the word-wrap).

#!/bin/sh

#
# Used to create a log file of things I have installed on a machine
#

SCRIPT_DIR=/root/maint/install

grep -v `pwd` $SCRIPT_DIR/port_install.log > $SCRIPT_DIR/port_deinstall.log
rm $SCRIPT_DIR/port_install.log
mv $SCRIPT_DIR/port_deinstall.log $SCRIPT_DIR/port_install.log

make deinstall

Then I have a list of top level apps that *I* have installed.  I am
using the above today, as I am reinstalling all top level apps.  :)

> On the other hand, if you remeber
> certain leaf ports installing them will drag in most of the
> infrastructure.  (My candidates: OpenOffice, Firefox, Apache,
> something involving Java. GIMP.)  It will still take time, but
> within limits you can just let it run.
>
> 	A scenario for the future: my /var/db/pkg has ~620 entries, and
> totals just over 62mb.  Building a tarball took less than a minute
> and ate another 60mb.  Might be a sound investment.

yeah... I have already added /var/db/pkg to my backup scripts.  I backup
a bunch of system stuff every time I buildworld.  I just wasn't getting
that.

Thanks.