Date:      Tue, 11 Dec 2001 22:52:23 -0500
From:      "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        "Steve Gatt" <stevegatt@hotmail.com>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.1.5 Binary Installation - Disk Space Required

I don't think FreeBSD 2.1.5 supports the Realtek PCI NICs.  (2.1.5 is quite
old.)

I would suggest obtaining anything from the 4.x series, which will work
quite happily on the machine you describe.
The back of my FreeBSD 4.3 CD set indicates 100 MB for a binary-only system.
X will set you back by at least another 150 MB or so, depending on your
choice of window manager.

--
Matt Emmerton

> Hello,
>
> I could not find the answer to my question elsewhere, so I have turned to
> you for help.
>
> I have FreeBSD version 2.1.5, which I wish to install on an Intel Pentium
> machine (details below), and I would like to know how much hard disk space
> should allot.  On the back of the CD box is written 60 MB for a binary
only
> system, which will be what I want, but does that include the X windowing
> system?  I will not be installing any applications or doing any
development
> for now.  If you could tell me how much space I will need for the binary
> system, including X Window, swap space and any more room I need just to
have
> a smoothly operating system, I would be glad.
>
> Here are more specific details of my system:
>   Intel Pentium CPU at 100 Mhz
>   Motherboard with Intel Chipset (Don't know the brand)
>   16 MB Main Memory
>   2.16 GB Samsung HDD (IDE)
>   S3 Trio 64 V+ ( /64 /32) 86C765 Graphics Card (Surf brand, I believe),
> with 2 MB memory
>   Realtek RTL8029AS 86017T1 (10 or 100/10 Mbps switching, I am not sure)
PCI